You only need a Fit (sick) note if:
- You’ve been off work for more than 7 days in a row, *and*
- Your employer has said you must send them one
See here for details: www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave
If you’ve been off work for 7 days or less you should self certify.
You can request a sick or fit note online
The easiest way to start this process is to complete an online request. You can do this for either a first fit note or if you wish to extend an existing fit note. You should complete an online form.
If you are using this method for the first time and want to understand how it works then please see the eConsultations section.
What happens next?
- Normally you will receive a reply from the practice asking you to complete an online questionnaire
- Your Doctor will then review your answers
- At this point you will either be sent your sick note electronically, or the Doctor may ask you to arrange an appointment to discuss the request further
- You should expect to hear either way within 48 hours
What if I can’t complete an online form?
You should call reception and book an appointment to discuss your request with the Doctor