Housebound and older people

As you get older the range of problems you face can grow to the point where it might be difficult to cope or know what to do for the best, particularly if you are becoming housebound.

Our clinical staff can support older people with complex needs.

They can help you understand the range of services available and support you in deciding the best course of action.

The sorts of things they can help you with include access to services to assist with:

  • Mobility issues
  • Memory problems
  • Loneliness and isolation
  • Housing issues
  • Practical issues such as help dressing and cleaning
  • Health issues

If you feel they could be of help then ask your doctor to put you in touch.

District Nurses

District Nurses carry out many roles. These include:

  • General nursing procedures and investigations
  • Post-surgery care
  • Assessment of patients’ needs
  • Care for terminally ill patients
  • Loaning of equipment
  • Looking after wounds and leg ulcers
  • Educating patients about self-care

Referrals can be made by a doctor or nurse at the practice, the patients themselves, or by carers and family members.

Community matron

Angela McIntosh is our Community Matron. Community matrons specialise in caring for older people, whether they live in their own home or a care home. They help patients manage their health problems and try to prevent unnecessary admissions to hospital. If a patient has to be admitted, they will communicate with the hospital team to ensure a smooth a discharge as possible.

Dementia services

It is very important that anyone who has problems with their memory has a proper assessment. If these problems are due to dementia then early diagnosis and referral has many benefits for the patient, their carer(s) and family. It can help them to plan and access the treatment and support they need and to improve their quality of life.

Please book with one of our doctors who can make the initial assessment and refer you to the memory clinic if necessary.

Adult Social Care

Leeds City Council help people aged over 18 to live as well as possible with their illness, disability or other problems. It can include help with things like washing, dressing, eating, getting out and about and keeping in touch with family and friends.

Adults who may need extra care and support include:

  • older people
  • people with learning disabilities
  • people with physical disabilities
  • people with mental health problems
  • people with drug and/or alcohol issues
  • carers

They offer a wide range of support. Their adult social care is a good place to start.

You can also call them 0113 222 4401 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).

This can be done by you, a family member or a friend.

If you have difficulty using the telephone please email them.


Older People’s Action In The Locality (OPAL) is a registered charity which supports the over 60’s living in Cookridge, Ireland Wood, Tinshill, Holt Park, Adel and Bramhope – Leeds 16 above the Ring Road.

Their aim is to prevent social isolation of local older people and help them live happy, healthy and independent lives.